Jacksonville Beach south of Beach Boulevard did not have the commercial development as occurred north of Beach. Even housing was sparser. Look at the Tom Thumb Court ad which came from the 1956 Senator and all the vacant land. It was at 1st Street South and 22nd Avenue South. That's 3rd Street South in the background. Most of this information is taken from ads in the Senator and does not, therefore, show everything. Other info was taken from a 1956 city directory.
Starting from Beach Boulevard, going down 1st Street South,
one came to the Sea Ranch Motel at 27 South 1st St. and owned by
Jim Keys. There was another motel at 101 1st Street South. At 115, there was the Wilkerson & Borum Insurance-Real Estate agency. The Giddens-Griffith Funeral Home was at 117 Third Avenue S. Jacksonville Beach Elementary School was at 2nd and 2nd. At #301 was Green's Motel. The Silver Seas Motel was at 421 S. 1st. St on the ocean; it opened on June 15, 1953. At 601 was the Blue Waters Court. At 8th Avenue S. on the ocean front was the Keys Motel; across the street was the Driftwood Motel. At 923 1st St S. )at the corner of 10th Ave. S) was the Atlantic Shores Motel, pictured here.
On the ocean on 14th Avenue S. were the Sea Barn Restaurant and Clara's Motel.
At 16th Avenue South was Oceanside Grocery, owned by the Oesterreicher family. A little of its history can be found in Michel Oesterreicher, Pioneer Family (Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press, 1996); it's available through Amazon.com. Across the street was the Capri Court motel. Several blocks west, across N. 3rd Street at #400 was Ocean Park Baptist Church.
At 22nd Avenue South on the oceanfront was the Tom Thumb Court.
Starting from north and going down 2nd Street, the Jacksonville Beach Elementary School was located at 2nd Avenue.
Going south on 3rd Street South (Florida highway A1A), there were a number of businesses including Don Chao's Roofing and Sheet Metal Shop at 212 So. 3rd St. and the Mione Motel at 8th Avenue S. Porters service station was located between 15th and 16th Avenues. There was a Shell station across the highway. At Sixteenth Avenue South was Huguenot Park where the Fletcher tennis teams practiced in the late 1950s.For example, one could drive south on 9th Street through the black section down to something like 16th Avenue South, shortening the drive to Ponte Vedra which began after 37th Avenue, and there were almost no houses for most of the way. 9th dead ended at 16th and one entered Adamsville, named after a long time plumber named Park Adams. In fact, west of 3rd Street (Highway A1A, the main north-south artery) there was very little settlement except, of course, the stores which lined A1A. The area had numerous dirt/sandy roads. Young people used to park back there at night. In other words, the farther south one went in Jacksonville Beach, the less populated it was.
Jax Beach extended from 20th Avenue North south to what would have been 40th Avenue South. After 1st Avenue North, there was Pablo Avenue and then Beach Boulevard. Then came 1st Avenue South, 2nd Avenue South, etc.
Several famous people lived in the southern part of the city. The novelist Pat Frank who wrote Alas, Babylon, Forbidden Area, and other novels was a resident. In one of these novels, the hero went to Jax Beach and into Millie's Bar on North 1st Street, a bar which had "the face on the bar room floor."
Ponte Vedra Beach
The major commercial enterprise was the Ponte Vedra Inn and Club.
There was a gas station, Drott's Standard Oil, there.
Beaches We Knew Aerial Photos (1960) Downtown Jax Beach and Beach Blvd South of Beach Blvd
North of Beach Blvd Atlantic-Neptune-Mayport Early Fletcher Miscellaneous
FLETCHER MAIN PAGE